Is your siding reaching the end of its functional life? Are you building a new home? When it comes to siding options, most homeowners prefer a low-maintenance solution, simply because siding maintenance isn’t at the top of anyone’s to-do list. Does that sound like you? Below, our Keyprime Roofing team dicusses the details on three of the lowest maintenance siding solutions that deliver excellent exterior protection.
Vinyl siding is one of the most popular low-maintenance siding materials for good reason. Not only is it more affordable than other siding materials, but it also requires very little long-term maintenance. Ever-evolving production advancements make it possible to customize vinyl siding to your exact specifications, making it a perfect complement to any architectural design.
What makes vinyl so low maintenance? The material is naturally resistant to a variety of environmental impacts, including:
● Insect damage
● Water damage and warping
Even better, because vinyl siding does not require caulking, staining, or painting, it’s more a more environmentally friendly option than many other siding materials. In fact, vinyl can even be recycled when it’s time for your next siding replacement. On average, high-quality vinyl siding will last you 20-40 years, depending on the environmental conditions in your area.
Metal siding offers homeowners a variety of benefits that cannot be understated. As one of the lowest maintenance siding options on the market, steel offers impressive durability and longevity, even in unfavorable weather conditions. Though many homeowners believe metal siding is more susceptible to rust, that simply isn’t the case. Because the material contains a proprietary protective coating, it resists environmental damage from:
● Moisture. Steel siding is naturally water resistant, meaning it’s impervious to swelling, rot, and rust.
● Fire. Steel has one of the highest fire-resistance ratings of any siding material available, making it a great choice for superior home protection.
● Insects. Metal is naturally insect resistant because it does not provide a food source for pests, which dramatically reduces your chances of an insect infestation.
● Hail. Impact-resistant steel siding is impervious to dings and dents from falling objects, which makes it an attractive choice in hail-prone areas like the Twin Cities.
● High winds. Wind resistance is a critical consideration in Minnesota, and steel siding delivers. Depending on the type of steel and the integrity of the siding installation, it can withstand winds of up to 160 mph.
Even with minimal maintenance, steel siding has an average lifespan of 30 years. It’s available in a wide range of colors and designs, making it a long-lasting, aesthetic siding option for virtually any exterior design.
Though it might sound drab and institutional, fiber cement siding offers impressive design customization, durability, and longevity. Of all your low-maintenance siding options, fiber cement offers the longest lifespan, which can exceed 50-100 years with minimal upkeep. In our ever-fluctuating Twin Cities weather conditions, fiber cement siding installation is a smart choice for homeowners looking for:
● Wind resistance. When properly installed, fiber cement siding can withstand winds of up to 150 mph.
● Design versatility. Fiber cement allows you to customize your exterior design to your heart’s content. It can be fashioned to look like natural wood grain siding, stucco, and even cedar shake.
● Impact resistance. Cement siding resists dents and dings from falling objects, such as hail and tree branches.
● Insect resistance. Fiber cement does not provide a food source for insects, which makes it a superior choice for preventing pest infestations.
● Fire resistance. Most fiber cement siding options carry a Class A fire rating, meaning they’ll withstand high heat for hours before experiencing deterioration.
Which Siding Option Is Best for Twin Cities Homeowners?
Considering our crazy Minnesota weather, selecting the longest-lasting, most durable siding option can be a challenge. You’ll want a material that can withstand high winds, pelting hail, sub-zero temperatures, and substantial moisture — but which one is the best choice?
Ultimately, that decision is up to you, based on your budget and aesthetic goals. However, at Keyprime Roofing, our siding contractors are always ready to help you select the best material for your needs. If you’ve got a question, we’ve got an answer, so don’t hesitate to reach out to our team for further details.
Looking for a Dependable Siding Contractor? Contact Keyprime Roofing Today
At Keyprime Roofing, we take pride in helping homeowners throughout the Twin Cities metro with high-quality, cost-effective exterior home improvements. We offer a number of low-maintenance siding options to meet your needs and can manage your project from start to finish. Whether you’ve already chosen a material or need assistance in the selection process, we’re more than happy to guide you toward the option that best meets your needs.
To learn more about our siding selection or installation services, give our team a call at 952-426-0132 or leave us a message on our contact page, and we’ll be in touch! Ready to get started with your estimate? Feel free to request your free quote online.