Planning to flip a house this year? Or are you getting ready to sell your primary residence? You already know how critical curb appeal is for getting buyers interested in your property, so now is the time to start planning out your exterior renovations. Restoring and updating a property requires a substantial amount of time if you go it alone. And, unfortunately, unless you’re well-versed in contracting work, unexpected obstacles often complicate the process further.
At Keyprime Roofing, we’re here to help make your property renovations as smooth and satisfying as possible. We know how much work goes into restoring and updating a home because we’ve been doing it professionally for years! Below, we have a few tips for upgrading your home exterior and achieving beautiful curb appeal to lock in your sale.
Revamp the Roof
If your property has an asphalt shingle roof (the most common roofing material in the U.S.), it’s important to keep in mind that its lifespan is only about 20 years, maximum. If you know the home has aged, and it hasn’t had a roof replacement in many years, revamping the roof can yield a substantial return when it’s time to sell. While you can certainly opt for new asphalt shingles, longer-lasting roofing options include:
● Cedar shake shingles. If you’re going for a more rustic aesthetic, cedar shake is a fantastic option. If you’re worried about deterioration, know this: Cedar shake resists mold, mildew, cracking, rot, and insects, and it can withstand wind speeds of up to 180 mph. Plus, it has a lifespan of up to 30 years with minimal maintenance.
● Metal roofing. If durability and longevity are your main concerns, a metal roof will suit you well. On average, metal roofing lasts between 50 and 80 years, so it can positively impact the resale value of your home. Metal is practically impervious to damage (even from fires) which means it provides unmatched protection for your home. And, even better, it can cut your energy costs by up to 50% because it reflects UV rays so well.
Contact a licensed roofing contractor for a full roof inspection before you move forward with the project. You may be able to get away with a few simple roof repairs if the structure hasn’t aged too significantly. Opting for repairs over replacement can keep a considerable chunk of change in your pocket, which you can put toward other renovation projects!
Call in the Siding Contractors
Siding is one of the first things potential buyers see when they pull up outside your property, which means it must be in great condition to make a favorable first impression. Before you begin your search for a siding contractor, consider pressure washing the home exterior. Once it’s thoroughly clean, you can easily locate areas of deterioration or damage and assess the extent of necessary repairs. A few of the most popular siding types that yield a great ROI include:
● Fiber cement siding. Super durable and long-lasting, fiber cement siding has a lifespan of approximately 50 years. Longevity is an attractive perk for potential buyers, which makes this siding a smart choice.
● Vinyl siding installation. Low maintenance, durable, and easy to install, vinyl siding is attractive to prospective buyers for its aesthetic appeal and near hands-off upkeep.
● Engineered wood siding. Surprisingly, engineered wood siding has a lifespan of up to 30 years. Unlike traditional wood siding, engineered wood is termite and rot resistant, which means you get the rustic appeal of wood but without the heavy maintenance.
● Steel siding. One of the most durable siding materials, steel has a lifespan of up to 40 years. If you’re trying to keep renovation costs moderate while maximizing longevity, steel is a go-to choice.
Consider Window and Door Replacement
New windows and doors help increase the energy efficiency of any property, which is a growing concern for prospective buyers. If the windows and doors on the property have not seen an update in decades, it’s high time for replacements. While discussing your options with window and door installation companies, make sure you inquire about double- and triple-pane glass if you’re looking to achieve superior insulation and energy efficiency.
Don’t Forget About the Gutters!
Last but definitely not least, consider installing new gutters if your property has passed its 20-year birthday. The average gutter system has a lifespan of 20-25 years before cracking and deterioration set in, so be sure to conduct a quick gutter inspection to locate areas of concern. If you’re looking for superior aesthetic appeal and incredible longevity, consider replacing vinyl or aluminum gutters with copper, which has a lifespan of around 60-100 years! Now that’s a smart investment.
Looking for Reliable Remodeling Contractors? Contact Keyprime Roofing Today
Whether you’re flipping a house or adding some flair to your own home, when you need reliable, honest home remodeling contractors, our Keyprime Roofing team is the go-to choice. For years, we’ve been providing remodeling and roofing services to residents throughout the Twin Cities metro, and no matter the project, we strive for nothing short of excellence. To learn more about how we can help you improve your home exterior and increase your resale value, give us a call at 952-426-0132 or connect with us online.