When was the last time you thought about your gutters? Or how about the last time you cleaned and inspected them? Can’t remember? If that sounds like you, and your gutters are aging, you might be in for a bit of a surprise come spring. Damaged or clogged gutters can cause a variety of home issues that, if you’re not diligent about cleaning and maintenance, you might never be aware of—until it’s too late. At Keyprime Roofing, we’re here to help you get the most out of your home, and when it comes to protecting your structure from water damage, taking proper care of your gutters is critical. Below, we discuss what can happen when your gutters are in disrepair.
What Kind of Damage Are You Looking At?
Leaking gutters can’t possibly cause that much damage, right? After all, rainwater consistently falls on the ground around your home, and it doesn’t cause excessive damage, right? Unfortunately, that perception is a bit misguided—in fact, without intact gutters, normal precipitation creates substantial water flow that can gradually erode the soil around your home. Beyond eroded soil, leaky gutters can also cause:
● Foundation Damage
As water continually falls around the exterior of your home, it gradually begins to erode the concrete that forms the foundation. Or, if your foundation has existing cracks, that same water can gradually travel through the concrete and into the lower level of your home. Soil erosion around the building can also cause the foundation to settle out of its current location, which compromises the structural integrity of your entire home.
● Rotting Exterior Wood
Clogged or leaking gutters can cause water to continually drip onto your home’s trim, which can trigger deterioration in just a matter of hours. If you own a wood home, the fascia installed around the structure’s exterior is highly prone to breakdown and rot with repeated water exposure.
● Landscape Damage
If installed properly, your home’s gutters are designed to direct water away from both the structure and any landscaping that surrounds it. However, leaky or clogged, overflowing gutters can cause water to flow directly downward, which can damage the appearance of delicate foliage and other landscaping additions. Excessive water flow can also erode soil and mulch, oversaturate plant roots, and even kill the vegetation you so painstakingly planted.
What Causes Leaky Gutters?
Gutter leaks develop due to a variety of reasons, but most commonly, leaks form when your gutters’ seams are improperly placed or sealed. Often, leaks also occur as a result of old age since most gutter materials have a lifespan between 20 and 50 years. Improper gutter maintenance can also result in deterioration, which typically ends in one of two conditions:
● Gutter holes. Most often, holes in any type of gutter material indicate that water has pooled for a substantial length of time in a particular area within the gutter. When water is allowed to sit for extended periods, rust can form, which gradually eats away at the material, causing a hole. If you fail to perform routine gutter cleaning, outdoor debris may accumulate within the gutter and block water from traveling freely. Or, if your gutters are improperly sloped, they stand a higher chance of developing rust due to water accumulation.
● Gutter cracks. Certain gutter materials—galvanized steel, especially—are prone to developing cracks if they’re not routinely painted every few years. Depending on the type of weather the gutters must endure, their paint can gradually chip away, exposing the metal beneath. When the metal encounters stress from extremely cold temperatures (ahem, Minnesota winters), it can crack, which opens the door for rust accumulation and further gutter deterioration.
Is it Time for New Gutters?
If you’ve noticed gutter deterioration or water damage around your foundation, it’s definitely time to contact the gutters installation professionals at Keyprime Roofing. We offer a wide selection of gutter installation options designed to meet both your functional and aesthetic needs, including:
● Seamless Gutters. Our seamless gutters effectively eliminate leaks and are designed with functionality and longevity in mind. They feature a baked-on enamel finish that never cracks, chips, or peels. Plus, you’ll never need to repaint your gutters once installed, which means far less maintenance for you, and a longer lifespan for your gutters.
● Copper Gutters. If you’re looking for serious longevity, copper gutters deliver. With a lifespan of approximately 60 years, these gutters will likely last as long as you own your home. Copper gutter installation is a perfect choice if you’re a low-maintenance homeowner but still want a functional, long-lasting, aesthetic addition to your home.
● Gutter Covers. Gutter guards are a perfect tool to keep unwanted debris out of your gutters, so you’ll no longer need to worry about pooling water, rust development, and gutter deterioration. Our universal-fit covers secure directly over your existing gutters and will work with virtually any material or gutter design.
Keyprime Roofing: Twin Cities Gutter Installation Specialists
At Keyprime Roofing, we provide cost-effective, long-lasting renovation for homeowners throughout the Minneapolis and St. Paul metro areas. We believe the customer should always come first and pride ourselves on our dependable, personalized, efficient service. We’re one of the Twin Cities metro area’s most well-regarded roofing contractors, and we also specialize in gutter installation, siding installation, windows, doors, and storm restoration.
To learn more about our wide variety of services, give our team a call at 952-426-0132, or feel free to message us on our contact page. For your convenience, you can also request your free service estimate here.