The siding on your house is designed to protect the structural components of your home from environmental damage. But unless you maintain your siding properly, it can deteriorate over time, which will interfere with its ability to protect your home.
While some types of siding require very little maintenance to remain in pristine condition, others require frequent upkeep to maintain their appearance and protective qualities. Regardless of the type of siding you have, though, you should know how to maintain it when the need arises.
What do you need to do to keep your exterior cladding in the best shape possible? Read on to learn maintenance tips for three popular types of siding.
Tips for Maintaining Vinyl Siding
Vinyl is one of the most popular siding materials on the market for its affordability, versatility, and minimal maintenance requirements. If your house features vinyl siding, you won’t have to do much to keep it in great shape, but be sure to perform these simple tasks on a regular basis:
● Inspect for damage. Vinyl siding can crack with long-term weather exposure or if it dries out. If it’s poorly installed, it might also trap moisture beneath its surface, which can lead to mold and rot. To catch minor problems before they spiral out of control, inspect vinyl siding at least twice a year.
● Wash it. Once a year, clean your vinyl siding by spraying it down with a regular garden hose. If you need to, apply some soap to remove stubborn, stuck-on gunk.
● Avoid heat and impact. The heat from barbeque grills or smokers can warp vinyl siding. Lawnmowers and other motorized machinery can also damage vinyl siding upon impact. To keep your siding in great shape, do your best to keep potentially damaging items away from it.
● Perform paint touchups if necessary. If your vinyl has baked-in color, you shouldn’t need to worry about painting it. But if you chose to paint your vinyl siding, you’ll need to stay on top of periodic paint touchups to keep it looking fresh.
How to Maintain Metal Siding
Steel siding is super durable, so it doesn’t typically require much maintenance at all. If your home has metal siding, here’s what you’ll need to do to keep it in top condition:
● Clean it. The best way to clean steel siding is with a power washer. If you don’t have one, you can also use a regular garden hose. To keep your metal siding looking pristine, make sure you wash it annually. It’s also a good idea to give it a thorough wash after severe weather episodes.
● Inspect it for damage. Depending on the quality of the siding you choose, it may be susceptible to scratches and dents. And if you fail to catch these types of damage, they could lead to corrosion over time. Make sure you perform a thorough siding inspection twice a year to check for signs of damage or minor rust development. Prompt detection is the best way to prevent a more severe problem.
How to Maintain Fiber Cement Siding
Like steel cladding, fiber cement siding is super durable, long-lasting, and low maintenance. It doesn’t need a lot of attention, but here are the few things you should do to keep it in great condition:
● Inspect it for deterioration. Fiber cement siding resists impact, pests, water, and UV damage. Since it’s so resilient, you probably won’t notice overt damage, but you might see signs of deterioration with years of environmental exposure. Once a year, perform a thorough inspection to look for mildew, cracks, paint damage, and warping. Pursue siding repairs if necessary.
● Clean it. To keep your fiber cement siding looking great, you should clean it at one- to three-year intervals. You can use a power washer or a bit of soap and your regular garden hose to get the job done.
● Re-paint if necessary. Fiber cement typically requires re-painting every 10-20 years. When you do need to repaint, make sure you use exterior-grade acrylic.
Need Siding Repair in the Twin Cities? Trust Keyprime Roofing With Your Project
If your siding has been the victim of deterioration or damage but it’s not quite ready for complete replacement, get in touch with our team at Keyprime Roofing to schedule siding repairs. We specialize in performing lasting, cost-effective home renovations for homeowners throughout the Twin Cities and strive to deliver the highest quality workmanship and customer service in the industry.
To get started, request a free quote or call our Golden Valley, MN office today at 952-426-0132. You can also connect with us online to learn more.